Friday, June 19, 2009
Water was passed through the penstock to the peltric generating set. Mr. Surendra with the assistance of his wife measured the flow of the water, its potential and the electricity generated. Although our peltric set is actually made to generate 3KW of electricity, 3.8KW of electricity was recorded to have generated. However, since in the long run this could be harmful for the set, he fixed the controller to generate only 3KW.
On the same trip the three of us got to visit more houses in the village and meet more villagers and learn about them and their lifestyle. We also got to interview several villagers and learn about their reaction towards the project and their plans / feelings towards getting electricity in their houses.
The trip was full of new experiences. We got to learn more about the technical aspects of this project which has been a drawback for us due to our lack of knowledge in the field. However, our team with such professional individuals definitely helped us a lot.
Special thanks to my cousin, Kritish Rajbhandari who acted as a translator and helped out in the interviewing process for his assistance and tremendous support.
Undoubtedly, the first test of the generation of electricity was successful and so was our trip!
Saturday, June 13, 2009
I particularly enjoyed interviewing the local people and other members of our team who without whom our project wouldn't have been possible. While interviewing them, I felt as if I were a journalist and a social worker. I am exhilarated for being part of this project which makes such a meaningful difference in the lives of these people and hopefully in Nepal too. I am also very happy that our project takes advantage of the hydro power potential of the country. When I was in the village I felt our project might be a historical small brick in building a sustainable source of energy for the whole country. I hope to continue being involved in this and similar development projects taking place in Nepal.
Friday, June 12, 2009
The villagers were looking forward to our arrival, and made lunch for us. I hope I impressed them by trying to eat with my hands, but for me, it was great success.
We began our tour of the village by getting an idea of where the houses were located, and how the cables should go. The villagers had started putting up the poles for the electric wiring, and few of the houses were already connected to the system. There were 2 houses located on the side of a mountain, about 2.5 km away from the power house, whose owners had been working hard and helping in the project as a labor contribution to get electricity in their houses.
We had the chance to take a look at the power house also. The peltric set was set up, but we were still waiting for the electric equipment to be connected.
We got to meet a few locals who took us along the river where the pipe was running. The 465m of pipes were set up on the side of the mountain, and the top is located about 120m above the peltric set. I was amazed by the beauty of the environment. We passed by countless waterfalls on the way up to the top. One filter was put on the entrance of the penstock which maybe not enough in the future, but everything else seemed to be ready to work.
Unfortunately we could not do more after sunset, so we decided to head back to our host for the night. We were invited for dinner, where we got to learn about the village, the people who lived their, about their lives, and they also got to learn about us.
I think the first visit went very well, and now we can move on with the project.
- Tamas Kolos-Lakatos
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
In the initial stage when the project started, the rough estimation of the length of the pipe required was made in a traditional way by using a string. Thus, the distance between the river and the location where the power house would be constructed i.e. the length of the penstock for the generation of appropriate amount of electricity was determined. In order to prevent the situation we are facing today, the length was measured three times then but that obviously wasn’t enough. However, when the construction began, the flexibility of the string used to measure caused room for error. This situation wasn’t completely unexpected but the only issue was the problem of transporting 7 more pieces of pipes that weigh 4kgs each.
We have decided to contact Nepal Poly Pipe and buy additional 45m of pipe from them as soon as possible so that the construction work can continue and we can generate electricity on time.